I hope that everyone is doing ok with the new schedule and routine. Don't panic - we will all get used to a new way of doing things soon.
Here are some suggestions:
- Turn the t.v. off when the kids are around. They don't need to hear the news.
- Schedule t.v. time with kid friendly, appropriate shows.
- Keep a schedule, similar to the school day so your children know what to expect.
- Post the daily schedule somewhere for them to see. They are used to having one to look at in school - so this may help with some of the anxiety they feel with the unknown.
- If you have more than one child who needs help with their schoolwork, make a schedule and let them know that you will give them time, one at a time. Make yourself a schedule.
- Give yourself a break! An actual break. Take a walk, go outside, read. Your children need you to stay fresh.
- Put music on in the house.
Here are some activities:
- Have your children write notes and cards to those locked in - nursing homes, hospitals, etc. Write letters to family members via email.
- Go outside with your children and have them find something for every letter of the alphabet.
- If your children play instruments, have them practice and give a small concert for the family!
- Do a "home economics" lesson and bake or cook together. They can help with measuring, stirring and cleaning up!
- Go through the house, one bedroom at a time and have them try on clothes, get rid of outgrown clothes.
- Have a friendly competition with relay races, carrying potatoes on spoons, bouncing a ball, etc.
- Get sidewalk chalk and do some drawing!
Be creative, be strong, be positive. We can do this!