Students should respect and abide by the following dress code adopted by the Long Beach Island Board of Education:
- Student attire shall be neat, clean and reflect an appearance of modesty and good taste. Apparel shall not be so tight fitting, sheer, transparent, brief, low-cut or revealing above or below the waist as to be indecent, distracting or disruptive to the school environment;
- Tank tops, halters and tube tops are not permitted. Sweat shirts, warm-ups and t-shirts are permitted if they are not torn and if they are not cut or tied to expose the midriff. Clothing with inappropriate words or symbols (of a suggestive nature) are prohibited.
- Footwear is required. The wearing of hazardous shoes is not permitted (i.e flip-flops, sandals, platforms). Shoelaces shall be tied.
- Students attending any school functions (field trips, activities during school hours and evening programs) shall dress as directed by the teacher/administrator. If a child does not dress as directed, he/she shall not attend the activity and will be provided academic work (if the activity is during the school day).
- Safety and protective clothing, as well as athletic or gym clothing, shall be worn as required by the subject teacher or club instructor.
- Hair shall be clean and well groomed.
- Hats may not be worn in the building since they can be expected to obstruct the vision of others. Hats shall not include headwear of religious significance, such as yarmulkes.
- Any accessory (jewelry, pins, spiked wrist bands, etc.) that constitutes a safety hazard and/or distraction will be removed at the request of the teacher/administrator.
Enforcement: The dress code shall be enforced according to the lines of authority, i.e. the teacher, the Principal, the Superintendent and the School Board, in that order.
Severability: This dress code shall be deemed to be severable. If any section is found to be void or unreasonable by a forum of competent jurisdiction, only that section shall be deemed deleted.
If a student is not abiding by the dress code, parents will be contacted to bring in appropriate clothing as soon as possible on that day.