What is an Affirmative Action Officer (AAO)?"
An AAO is a member of the professional staff who has responsibility to coordinate and implement the district's efforts to comply with the regulations of N.J.A.C. 6A:7 and to promote a working and learning environment free of discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability. This person also serves as the district's Title IX Coordinator.
An AAO does the following:
- Oversees the implementation of the district’s affirmative action plan to increase minorities in the district.
- Oversees the development and implementation of the district’s comprehensive equity plan as defined in N.J.A.C. 6A:7.
- Monitors implementation of the plan and related strategies for improvement.
- Maintains communication with staff, students, and community.
- Coordinates/provides mandated in-service training for all certified and non-certified staff.
- Has full knowledge of district grievance procedures and employment policies and is the point person for students and staff filing grievance procedures.
- Maintains confidential records and reports data as required.
- Assures that the district maintains fair and impartial hiring practices; frequently sits in on interviews.
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary.
The Long Beach Island School District's Affirmative Action Officer is Mr. Frank Birney 609-494-2341.
Notice of Non-Discrimination
The Long Beach Island Consolidated School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Mr. Frank Birney
Principal/CST Administrative Supervisor
200 South Barnegat Avenue
Surf City, NJ 08008